1/03/2008

Code BLUE!

I was at work last night, hanging out in the nurses station, when the receptionist paged overhead "Code BLUE in the main hall! Code Yellow in the main hall!" (Code Blue as in someone is dead or dying, Code yellow is an altercation or assault with our residents) Ahhh! Put those two together and it really gets my adrenaline going! I grabbed our crash kit, the other nurse grabbed the oxygen, and we went FLYING to the main hall. As I rounded the corner I saw blood splashed across the wall in the meeting room! I was seriously thinking that I was entering a murder scene! As the crowd parted, there was a staff member getting up from the ground, with a broken, busted up, bloody nose and face. And like 5 other staff members were holding a resident on the ground. (The resident had no injuries, he was just being restrained because he was out of control!) As I realized that everyone was going to live I started breathing again. If I would have held my breath any longer they would have had to call a code blue on me!

Why do I work there again?

3 comments:

Jeni said...

Oh Stef - You have got to get out of there. You almost gave me a code reading about it!

Tiffany said...

I would be running the other direction if I was you.

Holly said...

Wow, that is quite the story! Did you ever find out what caused the resident to freak out (for lack of a better term)? Something similar to this happened to me during my internship at a nursing home - only less bloody. So crazy!