2/08/2010

Things are Looking Up

Aleeya's test results all came back negative. She doesn't have any obvious infections of her intestines. The Dr. wanted to see her again on Friday to make sure he wasn't missing something more serious. When we first started talking he told me that he was going to do some blood work and another abdominal X-ray. But when he started to examine her he said "She just looks so good and healthy!" He pushed around really hard on her tummy and she just looked at him like "Excuse me!" He explained that if it was something serious (like NEC) she would be screaming all the time and look "wicked sick." So he decided to skip the x-ray and just check her hematocrit to make sure she wasn't losing too much blood. (Her blood count was excellent.) He said "Thank you for bringing her in, I am going to have a much better weekend knowing that she is okay." How sweet is that?!

He thinks she just has a bad case of a protein allergy that was aggravated by the RSV virus and the antibiotics. He said we could try switching to Alimentum to see if she tolerates it better and gave us a few samples.

The amazing thing is that within 24 hours her bum rash was gone! (And it was a really bad bum rash!) Her diapers have also been slowing down and getting progressively better. (About 1/2 have had no blood!) I am so relieved that things are looking better. I think we just have to wait this one out. I can't wait for the day that I can stop examining messy diapers!

3 comments:

Christen said...

Such great news! What a rough start that little girl has had. Hopefully soon it will be a distant memory!

Tiffany said...

Yeah! Good news! Sorry I didn't get to see you yesterday. I left my mom's before you got back.
I'm still voting for probiotics for Aleeya though. (just my 2 cents)

kristi said...

I'm SOOOO happy to hear this Stefie!! You're an amazing mother and have an amazing new little girl! We're sure praying for you all!