2/04/2010

Patience. . .

The good: Aleeya's RSV is all but gone! She hasn't even coughed for a couple of days and her breathing is slowing down and getting deeper. When I watch her breathe in her sleep she is at about 40 respirations, and it is making me breathe a little easier too!

The bad: There is still blood in her stools, every diaper change, and every day. I was supposed to wait until Friday to bring a stool sample into the Dr., but I called and asked if I could bring it in today instead. I am learning that patience is not my strong suit (at all!) It takes 48 hours to culture and see if an infection is causing the problem, so that means more waiting. I am hoping that the on call Dr will let us know what the results are by Saturday, and if not I will have to wait until Monday. I have read that it can take up to two weeks for an allergen to be completely removed from your system, so I am trying to wait another week until we change Aleeya's formula again. This all is not helping me feel any better about not nursing her anymore, as the blood in the stool is the reason I stopped! There are not many more options of formulas either, she is already on the most recommended hypoallergenic formula. There is another brand called Alimentum, but after that you have to buy a special formula that is broken down into amino acids, and you can't even get it in a normal store!

In the mean time I made an appointment with the Pediatric Gastroenterologist that Rowen saw when he was a baby. She is booked out until March 30th! Wait, wait, wait. . . Life just isn't supposed to be this painful or complicated for a newborn.

I am trying to figure out what I am supposed to be learning from all this? Does it mean that I am strong, and the Lord knows I can get through it? Or does it mean that I am weak and need to learn something? I read a quote from the prophet: "Patience may be required as we watch, wait, and work for a blessing to be fulfilled. Remember that you do not walk alone. As you walk through life, always walk toward the light, and the shadows of life will fall behind you. . ." As I mentioned, I am lacking patience, and I am such a worrier that I have a hard time letting the light shine through. When I read that quote, it gives me peace, (but the minute I stop reading it the anxiety sets in) so I am trying to read it often!

5 comments:

Jeni said...

Gosh - I feel so bad! I keep thinking things are bound to get better and better, but you're managing to hang right in the stress zone for a loooong time. I am so sorry! I hope Dr. H. has some good answers, she is so good - but actually I hope it doesn't have to come to that, that by March it will all be better. We'll keep remembering her (and YOU) in our prayers!

Holly said...

Man, Stef, you are right. A little body should not have to go through that much at the start of their life. So sorry!

jkimball said...

I am soooo sorry. I can only imagine how tired of all of this you are. You truly are handling it well but I hope answers come soon. I am sure you have but if not get on Dr. H's cancelation list. We did that and got in a few weeks sooner.

The Ingleby Family said...

I totally understand Stef. Bruce has been unemployed for two weeks now. I am in a panic, we have a house payment 3 young kids to take care of and more and more and more....and I keep thinking this is all a patience thing as well. Keep your head up. It will all work out and let us know if we can do anything for you guys!
Love ya!

Tiffany said...

So sorry. Do you think probiotics might help in the mean time?