10/30/2009

Swine Flu, Day #2

8:30 AM: Makaylee comes into my room with a fever of 101.5, coughing, and groaning. She says "Mommy, when I woke up, I couldn't even get out of bed, I had to wait for a while before I could move!" (How sad is that!)
9:00 AM: The Ped's office calls, Makaylee has a laboratory confirmed case of H1N1 (big surprise!) I am advised that if Rowen, or I develop ANY symptoms, we are to get into the Dr.'s office to be immediately started on Tamiflu. I say to the nurse "Okay, well, my daughter is A LOT sicker today, and since she has a confirmed case of H1N1, can't we start her on the Tamiflu too?" The nurse tells me that she will have to ask the Dr. and call me back.
10:30 AM: Ped's office calls back, "No, we cannot prescribe Tamiflu for Makaylee because she is not at risk and is a healthy child. We just have to let it run it's course." Doesn't that just seem wrong and sad? I wonder if it was their own child that was curled up in a heap of blankets on the heat vent, if they would give her Tamiflu?

Towards the middle of the day she felt a little better, although she practically lived in the bath tub today (at her own request.) Her fever came back a little stronger tonight though. It has been so hard to keep Rowen away from her! He is so frustrated that I keep telling him to move away that he has started shouting back "No, KK is NOT sick!"

This is really sad timing for her, as she has been SO looking forward to Halloween, and all the Halloween parties and festivities! It is just kind of a watch and wait weekend, I just pray that she gets over it fast and that Rowen and I can avoid it! We'll see what tomorrow brings!

3 comments:

Jeni said...

How is she doing now? Did she get to go trick-or-treating, or did you pretend it wasn't halloween? (Kind of hard to do with trick-or-treaters though...!?) I'm so sad for her. I hope you and rowe are still feeling healthy!

Christen said...

Oh, I am SO sorry!! I hope Makaylee starts to feel better soon and I really hope you and your boys stay healthy!

Mindy said...

We just got done doing battle. It took us almost two weeks to get everybody better. All three kids had fevers of 103. Anabelle's got to 104.4. They were too weak to feed themselves and slept a ton. I'm not saying this to scare you. Everybody recovered really well. I chose not to give them Tamiflu because dehydration and pneumonia are the two big concerns and tamiflu causes diarrhea. I wasn't willing to risk that for them getting better one day sooner. It all ends well. Good luck!