10/29/2009

'Taking One For the Team'

There have been several kids in Makaylee's class with the Swine Flu. I have been SO worried and stressed out about this flu for a lot of reasons. #1 Rowen has ended up in the hospital with minor colds, so I can't imagine what this flu could do to him. #2 Quite a few previously healthy pregnant women have died because of the flu (and I really don't want to be one of them!)

So you can imagine that I was a little freaked out when Makaylee came into my room coughing this morning, and had a fever of 100.4. I was sure, (still am sure) that it is H1N1, so I brought her into the Dr. right away, thinking that the earlier you get treatment, the better.

The Dr. looked at me like I was a little bit crazy, because Makaylee didn't even have a fever when we showed up (because of the Tylenol I had given her) and was really not feeling too bad. But when she looked in her throat she said it was really red, and ran a strep test on her (which she freaked out about!) The strep was negative, so the Dr. explained that she may have H1N1, but since she is a healthy child we should just treat her symptoms and let it run it's course (in other words: No Tamiflu.) However, since she lives with two people who are at high risk, it makes it a little bit more important to know exactly what we are dealing with so we had to test her for H1N1. The Dr. said "It is NOT a fun test, but she is going to have to take one for the team!" Oh, it broke my heart! To say it was not fun is a huge understatement! They had to suck mucous out of her nose with a booger vacuum, and it looked like they were trying to suck her brains out! 3 people were holding her down and she was screaming like they were torturing her. They ended up leaving her with a bloody nose in the saddest, little, crying, puddle-of-a-girl you have ever seen. Of course I scooped her up and let her cry in my arms, and then I realized 'Whatever she's got, I've got it now!' But what other choice do you have when you are the mom?

As the day has passed, the sicker and more tired she has gotten. We'll know tomorrow what the results of the test are!

1 comment:

Jeni said...

Oh, that flu test is the worst - they had to do that to Britton in the ER that one year he had the flu so bad. If he wasn't so sick I would have made them stop - it was sooo sad!!!