1/28/2010

Aleeya's RSV: Tuesday - Thursday


Tuesday:
That first night was the worst. When Aleeya wasn't crying and being suctioned, the other baby in our room was. If I closed my eyes and tuned it in, I could hear up to 5 babies wailing and coughing at one time. I found myself taking really deep breaths, and trying to breathe for everyone at the same time. The Attending Physician decided that I needed to stop nursing Aleeya, thinking that maybe the diarrhea was from a milk protein intolerance (being allergic to my milk.) They put her on that nasty hypoallergenic formula that costs $25.00 per tiny can and makes her breath stink. I didn't sleep for more than 1 hour that night and that made the next day a little harder to deal with. For the most part she was stable throughout the day, but her lung sounds were decreased in one side and they were worried that she might be developing pneumonia. We just have to wait it out and let the virus take it's course. In the mean time, we put our faith in Heavenly Father and all the prayers rolling our way. We are so thankful for all the prayers for Aleeya!

Wednesday:
I took a break and slept at home last night to get some sleep and Terry stayed at the hospital. When I arrived in the morning it was more of the same. Leeya is stable but not making many improvements. It feels like we are going to be in the hospital forever. I took a walk in the halls to get a break from the sound of crying babies. I walked by the oncology ward. It was decorated with a colorful hat tree adorned with darling, tiny, little beanies and I suddenly stop feeling sorry for myself and realize that life could be a lot worse!

By the afternoon they took Leeya's IV out! But the baby in our room seems to be getting better a little quicker and I am finding my self just a tiny bit jealous!

Throughout the night Aleeya decides that she has had enough and starts breathing a little slower. They keep bumping her Oxygen down and by the middle of the night she is off of her Oxygen completely! Hopefully we are getting to the good part!

Thursday:
The Dr. came in the morning and said that Aleeya fit the criteria to go home! I couldn't believe it, I was so excited. Every cord and tube that they took off of her was a relief, and when I was able to dress her back into her pink pajamas I felt like life could start to get back to normal! My mom came to get us in the early afternoon and we are home relaxing now.

I guess RSV can last up to two weeks, so we are going to have to watch her carefully for another week. Honestly, I am having a little bit of anxiety. I won't let her out of my sight, and I find myself counting her respirations every few minutes. I kind of miss the monitor that told me that she was breathing slow enough, and getting enough oxygen. (Terry actually asked if we could bring one home.) But it is just so good to have her here! Thank you to everyone that helped us out with the kids, thought, and prayed about us. I think we are finally getting to the good part!

7 comments:

Tiffany said...

Yeah! So glad she is home. Call me if you need help!!!!!!

Christen said...

We are praying for your family and thinking about you. That little gal sure is a cutie!

Jeni said...

soooooooooo glad she is home. What a scare! Poor lil thing! We'll keep remembering her in our prayers for sure :-)

jkimball said...

I am so glad. I hope you can get some sleep. Please let me know if you need anything. Brooklyn is dying to see Makaylee.

The Ingleby Family said...

I am so glad you guys are all home together as a family. PLEASE let us know if we can help in any way. Tanyon had RSV so I know how scary it can be. I still worry about it!
Thinking about and praying for you guys.
Loves!

BenandLisaGrimm said...

I'm so sorry that you and your sweet little baby are having this trial. I am glad you are home and we will keep you in our prayers. SHE is so CUTE, by the way :)

Cheryl said...

I am sorry that she had to be in the hospital, but bummer that I wasn't working and could have helped! I hope you are doing better now that you have had some sleep and are enjoying your new home suction. I have one of those, and love it, but mostly b/c I can deep suction my kids at home, yeah call me a mean mom, but it works like a charm!