1/27/2010

Aleeya's RSV: Sunday & Monday

(I just wanted to say thank you to everyone that has been calling, thinking about us, and praying for us. The prayers are working, so keep them coming! I just found this computer lab at the hospital, so I am going to try to do regular updates since so many of our loved ones are wondering how we are doing.)

Sunday: Aleeya started coughing, and I noticed that she was breathing really fast, so I took her to the kids instacare. They had to deep suction her. It is about the saddest thing I have ever seen, my tiny baby screaming like they are trying to suck the soul out of her! They said she had bronchiolitis (not bronchitis) and tested her mucous to see if she had RSV. She was up coughing all that night, (I don't think I slept a wink) and several times I almost threw my clothes on thinking we were going to have to take her to the ER.

Monday: The test came back positive. Aleeya has RSV. We took her to her sweet pediatrician (Dr. Duffy) in the morning and they had to deep suction her again. (By the way, I cry almost as hard as she does when they do this to her.) She also has an ear infection and had to get a shot of antibiotics. Dr. Duffy was really worried about her and told me that it was looking like she might end up in the hospital, but for now he gave us a prescription for an out patient bronchiolitis clinic to use at the Riverton Hospital.

I took her to the bronchiolitis clinic to be suctioned again, the sweet man at the clinic was also worried about her. He watched her for a LONG time, and then her oxygen saturation started to drop so he hooked her up to Oxygen and transferred us to the Emergency Department at Riverton hospital (just how many co-pays does one person have to pay in 1 day?!)

By this time Aleeya has developed diarrhea BAD. I'm talking every 10 minutes we are changing her bum. Then the diaper rash starts, and she screams every time urine or stool touches it. Then she started having blood in her stools. I don't know how much one mom can worry, but I think I am just about at the worry capacity!

The ER Dr decides that we are going to need to go to Primary Children's. Aleeya needed to be transferred with the oxygen so at first they told us that we were going by ambulance, but then the Dr decided that she was stable enough and sent us with an oxygen tank in our car. You should have seen me walking into the hospital carrying an oxygen tank, a car seat, and a baby bag. I felt like I weighed 300 pounds!

When we arrived the circus started. They decided that they needed x-rays, and stool samples, and blood samples, and an IV. Pretty soon my baby is literally hooked up to 6 or 7 tubes and cords. I can't even pick her up with out Terry there to help untangle us! To top it off we are in one TINY room, and it is a SHARED room! There is another baby in a crib about 1 foot away from Aleeya, separated by one flimsy curtain. And this other baby is sweet and all, but she is coughing her brains out as well, and every ounce of me wants to throw myself at the air in between them to shield Leeya from any more germs! There is also only one NARROW fold out bed for the two of us and one VERY straight backed rocking chair. I take a deep breath and tell myself to be prepared to not sleep for the second night in a row.

2 comments:

Laura W said...

Oh Stef, I am so sad that you guys have to go through this. :( I hope you all get some rest in there somehow and come home very soon with your healthy sweet baby.

The Ingleby Family said...

Oh man Stef, I had no idea! I saw Terry at church on Sunday but I guess it was after church it all started happening? Is there anything we can do for you? Please let us know! You are in our thoughts and prayers.
The Inglebys