3/09/2009

So Lucky to Have Her!

I just wanted to take a minute to write about my sweet KK. She is beautiful, smart, charming, sensitive, and oh-so-funny!
But this weekend she scared us to death! We went out to eat with the Willardsons at Cafe Rio, and she sneaked a red & white mint off our tray, and then started goofing around with Caden. Somehow she accidentally sucked the WHOLE mint down her throat and ran to me choking and dry heaving.
It was scary enough that one of the workers asked if he should call 911. Scary enough that you could see the bulge of the mint in her throat like a humongous adam's apple! So scary in fact that any nursing training I have ever learned flew out the window, (I knew I shouldn't do the Heimlich because she was having some air exchange, but then what should I do?) We were so lucky though, so lucky. She was able to take a few sips of water and help that huge mint slide down, so we didn't have to call 911, didn't have to go to the ER. She was so upset about it all that she was literally shaking afterward. (So was I!) I just held her on my lap, squeezed her so tight, and was so so thankful just to have her there.
It is neat how things like this change your perspective though. . . When you remember that the people that you love could be taken away from you at any time. The way it makes you hug them a little tighter, kiss them a little more often, and tell them how much you love them!

8 comments:

Tiffany said...

Wow! I am glad she is okay!!!
How scary!

jkimball said...

I am glad it turned out OK. Hug her for me too!

The Hoods said...

I am so glad that she's okay!! By the way, those are the cutest pictures ever!! Where did you get them done?!?!

Christen said...

That made me tear up. So scary, Stef! Glad she's ok!!

Jeni said...

Yah, I start to shake too every time I hear that story. Stop it.

kristi said...

That is VERY VERY scary. That's one of those things you never want to happen. But I'm glad you were prepared and have great skills to have been able to help. Glad Kaylee is okay!

BenandLisaGrimm said...

I am glad she is ok. Lauren choked on a nickel once and it scared me so bad. It does make you appreciate them even more! The pictures of her are so cute, I love the chair too!

Sonya said...

I HATE that story! I am happy to have her here too!

The pictures are DARLING! Good job Jen!