4/26/2008

My Latest Obsessions

If you that know me really well (you are lucky! just kidding), you know that I tend to get a little obsessive about certain subjects. Lately there are 3.

1. Vaccinations, and the possible (and very controversial) link with autism and several other autoimmune disorders. ( I don't mean to open up a bag of worms here, I'm just saying, I'm obsessed!)
2. The Mountain View Corridor, (aka Legacy Highway) I'm concerned about when it is coming, where it will be located, and how it will affect my family and home!
3. (And the main reason for this post) The Community Food C0-Op. The food shortage, and rising price of food has gotten me seriously concerned. I spent $194 at the grocery store this week, and it made me sick to my stomach! I am going to join this food co-op, and hope that it helps with my budget. An order comes in once a month, and is about 50% off retail value. For example, the order for May is: 2lbs chicken thighs, 2 sirloin steaks, 2lbs pork spareribs, 1 lb ground beef, 3 varieties of fresh fruits, 5 varieties of fresh veggies, 1 loaf of bread, and 16 oz rice. The grand total for all of this? $21.00! I will find out more about it in the next week or so, if any one is interested, or wants more info let me know.

9 comments:

Julie said...

Stef - our neighborhood has a produce coop that I used to be a part of. We would get a laundry basket worth of fresh veggies and fruits every other week for a good price. My only issue with it was that we didn't like everything we got, and I wondered if my money would be better spent on the fruits & veggies that we actually eat a lot of. I still debate whether or not I should have gotten out of it, but I really think the idea behind them is great. Let us know how it goes.

Cheryl said...

Stef, we do the community co-op that you are looking at, and we love it. There are months that I don't do it, because I don't think I will use the meat that they are offering, sometimes we just do the harvest share and not the full share, but it is really good meats/bread and produce, and you really can't beat the price! It's well worth it!

Tiffany said...

Stef,
do you know if they offer organic produce? or at least produce that is not GMO?

Unknown said...

Oh, I heard about those co-ops the other day and was very interested, until they said that to be a part of it you have to do a certain number of hours voluteering. How selfish do I sound?! But not as self-serving as it sounds, just thinking of me and 5 kids sorting out 100 dozen eggs, or whatever...they would probably ask me to un-join (hee hee). Oh, and I'm sure you know this, but all my kids have had all their vaccinations on time and they are perfectly...oh, well...on second thought, maybe that explains a few things hee hee - (JK!)

Kelli said...

Actually Stef, that's the first thing Richard said to me when we watched the preview for Enchanted on one of our first dates!! He's the only other person who thinks I look just like her. I guess I'll take it as a compliment since I think she's cute!

Mindy said...

I want to know how to find a food co-op here. Our grocery bill is breaking us. I'm also surprised to read your concerns about vaccinations. They've scared me for good after going to elementary with a little crippled boy from an immuniztion gone bad. I went ahead and did Hope's on time and afterward she didn't wake up or eat for three days. Scared me to death. both of my kids are caught up now because I have no idea what they're exposed to down here and I think that scared me more, but I want to talk to you about this. You're the only nurse I know that doesn't advocate them.

Stef said...

Mindy, I am definately NOT against vaccines. I am just really concerned that babies get too many vaccines too early. In the '80s we recieved 11 vaccines by the time we were two, now kids recieve about 27 in that same time frame. I just think that we need to slow it down a little, and remove the neurotoxins in the vaccines(aluminum, mercury, antifreeze.) okay, sorry, I guess I did just open up a bag of worms! :) But this is just MY opinon (not the opinion I was taught in Nursing school.)

Anonymous said...

I'll have to get some information from you about the food co-op. It might be something I could share about in my family preparedness calling. The price sure sounds right.
Mom

Christen said...

Stef, I've been thinking a lot about vaccines lately too, especially since Larkin will be starting up with all of them soon. Mike looked at the list the doctor gave me and said, "We're not giving her all of those!" I need to do more research, but whenever I ask a doctor about them and their link to autism the doctor is ALWAYS pro vaccine and brushes autism to the side. It's hard!