11/24/2008

Mmm. . . Chicken!

When Makaylee was 2 and learned the animal names, I would occasionally hold my breath for a moment when I served "Chicken" or "Turkey" for dinner. She is such an animal lover, so I was dreading the day that she would put two and two together. After 2 years without any drama on the subject, I guess I grew too relaxed because last night she surprised me with this question:
"Mom, do you think this chicken is SAD that we're eating it?"
Gulp. . . "No Honey. . .It. .Uh. . . doesn't even know that we're eating it. . . "
"Why?" She questioned
"Because. . . he is up in heaven with his family. . . so he is happy!" I stumbled
She quickly replied (with an obstinate voice,) "Why is his FAMILY in heaven? Did we eat them too?"

5 comments:

jkimball said...

Does she know about the elk in the freezer? Don't let her talk to Brooklyn.

Holly said...

That is so crazy! I don't think I ever put two and two together as a kid. She may be the youngest vegetarian ever!

Jeni said...

Ow, break my heart.

Wendy said...

Hee hee that is so cute...chickens and Ear-sight...I love when their little brains really start to take in the world around them.

kristi said...

Cute little Kaylee. What a smart girl. and I have to say - her mom is pretty smart too!! Way to be quick on your feet :)