5/21/2008

Makaylee's First "Pet"

Makaylee was playing outside at my Grandmas house the other day and found a snail. I thought it was dead. It was all sucked up into it's shell, and I was horrified that Makaylee insisted on touching it. Terry got her a glass of water to put the snail in, and I guess it rehydrated it or something because it came out of it's shell and started moving. Makaylee was fascinated with it and spent the rest of the evening playing with it. Eww. When it was time to go Makaylee looked up at me with a worried face and asked me what was going to happen to the snail. I said "It's going to stay here in Grandmas garden."

My mom and grandma whipped their heads around so fast and looked at me like I was the meanest person they had ever met. It startled me and I said "What?"

My mom said "Aren't you going to let her keep it?"

I said "Mom, would YOU have let ME bring a snail into the house when I was 4?"

She said "Of Course!" (Really, she wouldn't have!) But before I could argue my point, my grandma was getting a huge pickle jar and cutting some holes in the top for the snails cage. Makaylee was so excited, she picked some leaves and put them in the jar for the snail to eat. On the way home she named the snail "Riley" (a ridiculously cute name for such an ugly bug!) She put the seat belt on the jar, and talked to it all the way home.

When we got home she said "Mommy, is Riley my pet?"

"If bugs can be pets, then I guess it is."

This wasn't the answer she wanted, so she asked again. I said "Makaylee, can bugs be pets?"

"Yes!"

"Okay, then I guess Riley is your pet."

The next day she ran around to all her friends in the circle to show them her pet. She really is taking good care of it, and here's the thing, she REALLY does love that bug just like a pet! And, blame it on the cute name, but the snail is growing on me a little bit too. I have found myself saying "Be careful with Riley!" Does anyone know how long a snail lives? I am a little worried about what Makaylee will do when it dies!



6 comments:

Wendy said...

How fun for you!! Snails thrive out here. I actually put out bait to kill them in my flower beds. I would think she will get at least a season out of him. No salt....the foam up and die if they come in contact with salt!!!

Tiffany said...

That is so cute! What a good little pet owner.

Holly said...

Wow, whoever thought it would be exciting to have a snail as a pet? At least she's taking good care of it!

The Hoods said...

That was very nice of you to let her keep it. What a nice mom you are!

kristi said...

I had a pet snail in Brasil. Although it was easily 12 times the size of Makaylee's. His name was Harry (my companion named him) Riley is MUCH better. The only thing I hated was when we'd come home and find his footlong body spread out across the kitchen floor!! :)

Stef said...

EWW! Kristi that is so gross! I didn't know snails could get any bigger! (Why did you let him free in the kitchen?)