1/10/2011

Ouch... That Hurt!


It was an average day at work, I walked out into the (teenage) girls hall, distributed cups, and asked the girls to get water to take their meds. They all listened except for one, who was sitting in the hall. I asked her, "Did you get water for your meds?"
[Her]"No, you are SUPPOSED to bring me water!"
[Me]"I have 40 patients, I don't have enough hands to bring water out to all of you."
[Her]"WELL, I am busy HERE!"
[Me]"Me too, so hurry and get your water so we can get this over with."
[Her]"Then I am going to REFUSE MY MEDS! YOU BLOND BIMBO #*&#^!"

I am used to being called names. It's not that I like it, but it kind of rolls off of me... so, I walked away and ignored it. I chatted with a few of my patients and then went back to the nurses station for a few more things. I had to go over to the next hall to give out some more meds, when the prior-mentioned-charmer walked up.

[Her]"Are YOU gonna bring me my MIRALAX?!" (Juice that helps you go poop)
[Me]"Well, that depends, are you going to take your medications?"
[Her]"YOU ARE SUCH A €*&$%#!"

At this point the inner Mom came out in me and I said, "What makes you think that it is okay to talk to people like that? Where is that going to get you in life?" (I know, I know... it was probably not the smartest thing to engage with a crazy, hormonal, defiant, teenager, but I just couldn't help it! What are they learning if they keep getting away with stuff like this!)
[Her]"$%^$&! #$ &^#* &^% & *#$!!!" (Obviously she has a HUGE vocabulary!)
[Me]"You are being extremely disrespectful, don't talk to me like that."
[Her]"YOU #$#^!^% are being disrespectful $%#$*&$% TO ME!"
[Me]"All I am doing, is asking you to stop talking like that."
[Her]"I SWEAR, if you EVEN say ONE MORE WORD, I am going to PUNCH YOU B#%$#%!"
I turned toward the male tech, who was sitting approximately 6 inches from where I was standing- to see if he was even paying attention. (He is big and burly, and I could tell that he knew how to defend himself.) I gave him a meaningful look and said "Sooo...." (as in, why the heck aren't you backing me up here kid!")
[Mr. Tech]. . . (Doesn't even glance in my direction) "Uh...I'm just gonna ignore it."
[Me](Thanks for having my back) "Well, this is getting nowhere, I guess I am just going to have to ignore this childish behavior, too."

Yep, that did it... I said one more word (or 19.) I turned to walk away at the same time that she came flying out of her room and hit me in the face two times. Mr. Tech finally hopped out of his comfy chair to help-- after she made contact with my face. (My bruise, and the lump on my eyebrow thank you for choosing to ignore her, Mr. Tech!)

4 comments:

jkimball said...

Ouch!!! I am so sorry. Is Terry willing to let you go back to work? I hope you are OK.

Kelli said...

Oh my gosh Stef!! I can't believe she actually punched you. As grateful as I am for people like you, I would never want your job....

Stacey said...

Holy cow!! That is crazy!! I hope you are okay!!

cory and tara said...

oh.my.gosh. psych nursing SCARES me!! You are so great to help them and work with them. I know mentally ill pts need nurses too so I think you are WONDERFUL. I had a pool ball thrown at me during my psych rotation at the state hospital. That did me in. I can't imagine actually being hit. Yikes Steph!