1/20/2011

72 Hour Kit List

I've had a few people ask me about the contents of my 72 hour kits, and while I'm certainly not a professional in this area-I'm thankful to give others motivation to complete their own, too!

When I decided that I WAS going to get my kits done ASAP I decided that for me--the easiest (not cheapest) way was to get some starter kits from HERE and to add some extras on from HERE. You should be able to assemble them for around $50.00-$60.00 each this way (excluding the cash you want to have in each pack.)
Each pack contains:
  • 3 day food supply (MRE's were my choice-- they are compact and have a 8-10 yr shelf life)
  • Water
  • Utensils
  • Matches/ waterproof container
  • Emergecny blanket
  • Emergency sleeping bag
  • Hand warmers
  • Whistle/ compass
  • First Aid Kit/ face masks
  • Toilet Paper
  • Toothbrush/ tooth paste
  • Hand Sanitizer and/or soap
  • 1 pair of thermals
  • Poncho
  • Towel
  • Comb
  • Candles
  • Money
  • (I am going to add some type of stress reliever for each kid too-- like some hard candies/ small toy and/or coloring books.)

There are a few items that we didn't need 5 of, so we divided them up among the packs:

  • Tube Tents (2)
  • Hand crank radios (2)
  • Water purifier (very important because it is hard/impossible to pack enough water in a back pack!)
  • Camp Stoves (2)
  • Sewing kit
  • Pocket knife
  • Rope
  • Work gloves (2)
  • Sanitary napkins
  • Survival booklet

It's hard to believe, but all of that does indeed fit into 5 back packs! (Although, Aleeya and Rowen are not going to be able to pack their own for a while!)

No comments: