11/19/2007

Can I Help you Officer?!

This afternoon, I was on some errands, and Rowen got hungry. Well, he will NOT take a bottle from me, so I pulled over into a semi-empty parking lot, found a spot on the back row with absolutely no cars parked near, and got Rowen out of the car. I put a blanket up in the front widow to cover his eyes from the sun and started breastfeeding him in the front seat. (Sorry if too much info) Anyway, pretty soon, I see a car out of the corner of my eye. It pulls up right next to me, and I am thinking "How annoying! Couldn't you find another spot in this huge lot!" I look over, and it is a cop! He is just sitting there staring at me! I look away, hoping that he will just disappear. Well, he just keeps sitting there and staring. Now I am thinking "What? Is it illegal to breastfeed your son in a deserted parking lot?!" Well, I am getting a little self conscious at this point so I cover up all the way, roll down the window and say "Can I help you officer?!"
He says, "Are you okay?"
I say, "Yes"
He says" Are you just taking a time out?" (What?)
I say, "No, actually I'm just trying to feed my son!"
He blushes, as he finally figures out what I am doing! "Oh, I am sorry to interrupt, have a good day!" And drives off!
I don't know who was more embarrassed!

2 comments:

Christen said...

That is hilarious! I wonder how many times officers find mothers pulled to the side of the road taking a "time out!" Random.

kristi said...

I'm sorry Stef, but this story is pretty funny!! :) Do you give yourself time-outs quite often???